What is the 482 Visa?
482 Visa is a temporary skilled visa that allows an employer to recruit and employ a foreign skilled worker. The 482 visa can be issued for a 2-year period (short term stream) or a 4-year period (medium to long term stream). Processing time is between 8 to 12 weeks. The 482 Visa has 3 steps and it might offer a pathway to permanent residency.
What are the steps of the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa?
Step 1: Sponsorship
Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS) is an agreement that allows Australian businesses to sponsor non-Australian Permanent residents. Once the Australian business is approved, sponsorship is valid for 5 years for unlimited sponsor positions.What are the sponsorship requirements to be an approved Standard Business Sponsor for the 482 Visa? The business must:
- be legally established and currently operating.
- be or have applied to be a Standard Business Sponsor.
- not engage in discriminatory recruitment practices.
- have an equivalent condition for Australian workers.
- not have any adverse information recorded against.
- not engage in discriminatory recruitment practices.
- Department’s fee: AUD $420
Step 2: Nomination
This step relates to each position you wish to nominate to be filled by a non-Australian permanent resident employee. It involves justifying the reasons why the position could not be filled locally by an Australian permanent resident or citizen.What are the nomination requirements for the 482 Visa? The business must
- have a genuine position which is on the nominated occupation list.
- be unable to find an Australian citizen or permanent resident for the nominated position.
- do the labour market testing (LMT) by advertising the position the role on 2 national recruitment websites in English before offering the position to the overseas applicant. The job advertisement needs to be for at least 4 weeks prior to applying
- nominate and engage the nominee under a written contract for an eligible occupation.
- pay at least The Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) which is currently AUD $53,900 and the annual market salary rate (unless the annual salary is over AUD$250,000).
- Department’s fee: AUD $330
- Nomination contribution charge (payable to the Department), depending on the number of years you seek the visa for and business turnover
Visa period Businesses with <$10 million Business with > $10 million turnover
One year $1200 $1800
Two years $2400 $3600
Three years $3600 $5400
Four years $4800 $7200
Step 3: Application
This step relates to non-Australian permanent resident employees applying for the actual 482 visa application. They need to demonstrate they meet the requirements for relevant skills, English, health, and character.What are the application requirements for the 482 Visa? You must
- be nominated to work by a lawful company that is an approved standard business sponsor (see above for more information on this)
- have at least 2 years of work experience in your nominated position and meet other relevant skill requirements.
- not have any visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa.
- meet health and character requirements.
- meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements unless you are exempt.
- Department’s fee: AUD $2,645 for 1 adult (occupation is on the Medium and Long-term list) or $1,265 (Short-term list). Note: immigration may charge an additional subsequent visa application fee of $700 if the applicant is applying whilst in Australia.
What are the benefits of the 482 Visa for the employee?
With the 482 (Subclass 482) Visa you can
- Live, work and study in Australia temporarily
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
- Apply for permanent residency if you are eligible
The Department of Home Affairs assesses applications on a case-by-case basis and processing time can vary from 8 to 12 weeks for the visa to be processed. Completing application with necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information can help expedite the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my prospective employer eligible to sponsor me for the 482 Visa?
Can I bring my family members to Australia on a 482 visa? Yes, you can bring your family members. You can either include them in your visa application or apply for them to be added at a later stage as a subsequent entrant.
Yes, you can bring your family members. You can either include them in your visa application or apply for them to be added at a later stage as a subsequent entrant.
When can I start working once I receive a 482 visa grant? There are two cases:
There are two cases:
Can I switch companies in Australia on a 482 visa? Yes, you can switch your sponsor company if your new employer meets the criteria. However, you must go through the visa transfer process first. Only once this is approved, you would be able to commence work for your new sponsor.
Yes, you can switch your sponsor company if your new employer meets the criteria. However, you must go through the visa transfer process first. Only once this is approved, you would be able to commence work for your new sponsor.
Is there any age limit for a TSS Visa? No, there is not an age limit for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
No, there is not an age limit for a Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
Can I convert my 482 visa to Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) 186 Visa? You may be able to convert your 482 Visa to an ENS. Available streams include: You can check the Permanent Work Visas here for further information.
You may be able to convert your 482 Visa to an ENS. Available streams include:
You can check the Permanent Work Visas here for further information.
Why choose us for the 482 Visa?
At Best Immigration Lawyers we have completed countless clients process easier and faster. Our firm has the experienced professionals and resources needed to provide the legal counsel, guidance and representation that might be needed to ensure your goals are better served. Best Immigration Lawyers provides advice and application management from the beginning to the end of the migration process. If you need a professional assistance, please book a meeting online or call us on 0292830888