Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa is appropriate for people who are looking to work and holiday in Australia for 12 months. It is possible to extend this visa up to 24 months in the case where the visa holder undertakes 3 months of seasonal work in regional Australia while holding the Working Holiday visa. Working Holiday visa holders are allowed to include a dependent child on their application, as well as a partner who will be applying for their visa.

australia byron bay

Visa holders are allowed to:

  • Live in Australia up to 12 months, or 24 months (extended)
  • Work up to 6 months with each employer
  • Engage in any training or studies in Australia for up to 4 months
  • Leave and re-enter the country on multiple occasions for 24 months from the date of visa grant

Working and holidaying in Australia:

If you are at least 18 but less than 31 years of age, and hold a passport from certain country and wish to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year, you may qualify for one of the below visas (depending on your country of passport):

  • Working Holiday (subclass 417)
  • Work and Holiday (subclass 462)

The main difference between the two visas is the country of passport held by the applicant and that 417 visa can be extended to 2 years if you undertake 3 months of seasonal work in regional Australia whilst holding your first Working Holiday visa.

Who is eligible to apply for the Working Holiday Subclass 417 visa The applicant must be:

  • Between the ages of 18 and 30
  • A genuine visitor who has not previously resided in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa
  • Able to prove they possess the means to support themselves for the duration of their stay in Australia
  • Able to prove they possess a return airfare
  • A passport holder of a country that has a Working Holiday arrangement with Australia:
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Cyprus
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Hong Kong
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • South Korea
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan
    • United Kingdom

Who is eligible to apply for the Second Working Holiday visa

The applicant is expected to:

  • Prove they are compliant with visa conditions of the first Working Holiday Visa
  • Have entered Australia with only one Working Holiday Visa
  • Have undertaken 3 months of seasonal work in regional Australia while still holding the Working Holiday visa.

What happens in case of workplace accident?

Working holiday visa holders may be eligible to claim workers compensation if they are injured during the course of work. Access working holiday and workers compensation blog for further information.

Best Immigration Lawyers in Sydney

Whether this is the first time you are applying for a Working Holiday visa, or you are looking to prolong your stay in Australia with the Second Working Holiday visa, count on our immigration lawyer to help you. We hire only the best in class immigration lawyers and immigration agents. Should you need more information, don’t hesitate to contact us – via phone or filling the form, one of our legal professionals will get in touch to discuss the specifics of your case.

    Free Case

    Leave us a message and we'll call you back!

    Law Society