What is the Student Visa?

The Student Visa is a temporary visa that allows you to live, study and work in Australia for specified time dependent on the duration of your course. You first need to apply for admission to an educational institution and then apply for the subclass 500 Visa from the Home Affairs Department. If you are below the age of 18 or you need care and support, the subclass 590 Visa allows your relative to apply and stay with you as a guardian. If you later graduate as an international student, you may apply for the subclass 485 Visa to live, study and work after completing your studies. You must apply for this visa in Australia and hold an eligible visa at the time of application.

student girl reading

What are the requirements for Student Visa in Australia?

You may be eligible for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) if you meet the following requirements
  • you are enrolled in a registered full-time course of study
  • you have a valid Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) certificate
  • you meet English language requirements
  • you are covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) by an approved Australian health insurance provider for the period of your stay in Australia
  • you have enough money for your stay
  • you do not have any previous visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa.
  • you meet health and character requirements.


How much is Student Visa for Australia?

The Department of Home Affairs student visa cost is AUD $620. The costs of health checks and police certificates are excluded.


What to do if a student visa is refused?

If your student visa application has been refused you will generally have 21 days to lodge an appeal. If you are in Australia, you may stay in Australia on a bridging visa during the appeal process. If you are outside Australia, you may be able to apply for the same or another type of visa. If you find yourself in this situation you will need to act quickly because your time to have the application reviewed will be limited. That is why it is important to use professional assistance of an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent. Best Immigration Lawyers specialises in immigration law and we can help with your matter, so please contact our lawyers or book a free consultation.


The visa types that you can apply


If you want to study in Australia, subclass 500 Visa enables you to study an eligible course. You can apply for this visa onshore or offshore.


If you want to provide care and support for a student visa holder below the age of 18, subclass 590 Visa allows you to stay with the student as a parent or a guardian


If you have graduated as an international student, subclass 485 Visa allows you to live, study and work after completing your studies. You must apply for this visa in Australia and hold an eligible visa at the time of application


Why choose us for a student visa?

Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced legal professionals and resources required to provide you with the guidance and representation that is needed to ensure you reach your immigration goals. The team at Best Immigration Lawyers is approachable and committed to providing a personalised service, so please book a meeting online or call us on 0292830888

Whether you are currently studying in Australia or you would like to come to Australia, we can assist you to

  • provide advice about eligibility for your visa application
  • provide advice about the supporting documents required for your application
  • prepare your visa application
  • communicate with the Department of Home Affairs until a decision on your visa is made


    Free Case

    Leave us a message and we'll call you back!

    Law Society