What is the Protection Visa (Subclass 866)?
The Protection Visa, Subclass 866, allows refugees in Australia to stay in the country permanently. If you arrived on a valid visa and seeking asylum because of the fear of persecution in your home country, you may be eligible for this permanent residency visa.
Am I eligible to apply for the Protection Visa?
What are the requirements for the Protection Visa? You may meet the requirements if you
- are in and have arrived in Australia with a valid visa
- are a refugee or meet Australia’s protection obligations
- prove the evidence of your identity and nationality
- are not barricaded from lodging the Protection Visa application
- have not held Subclass 449, 785, 786 and 790 Visas
- do not have any previous visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa
- meet health and character requirements
What are the benefits of the Protection Visa?
With the Protection Visa (Subclass 866) you can:
- live, work and study in Australia permanently
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme (Medicare)
- enrol in Australia’s social security Service (Centrelink)
- sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia via the offshore Humanitarian Program
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- apply for Australian Citizenship if you are eligible
What are the costs of the Protection Visa?
The Department of Home Affairs visa cost for the main applicant of the Protection Visa is AUD $40
How long does it take to get the Protection Visa?
The Department of Home Affairs assesses applications on a case-by-case basis and processing times are not available for the Protection Visa. Completing application with necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information can help expedite the process.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Protection Visa?
What are the examples of a fear of persecution? Factors related to race, religion, political opinion, nationality and membership of a social group may be considered as fear of persecution.
Factors related to race, religion, political opinion, nationality and membership of a social group may be considered as fear of persecution.
Can I include my family members to Australia on the 866 Visa? Yes, you can include your family members when you apply or any time before a decision is made.
Yes, you can include your family members when you apply or any time before a decision is made.
Why choose us for the Protection Visa?
At Withstand Lawyers we have had many Protection Visa applications for refugees. This is a very sensitive visa which most times results in life or death for our clients. We take this visa very seriously and understand its importance of a successful outcome. Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced legal professionals. We can help you regarding the Protection Visa application and interview. Please so please book a meeting online or call us on 0292830888 for face to face or online professional assistance.