Onshore and Offshore Child Visas (Subclass 101/802)

Child Visa, subclass 101 & 802, allows a child who is outside Australia to come to Australia and live with a parent who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia. The subclass 101 Visa is an offshore permanent residency visa and once granted, you can live, study and work in Australia permanently. If you are an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible NZ citizen you may be able to sponsor your biological or adopted child to live, work and study in Australia.

child at flight

Who is eligible to apply for a child visa?

To meet the criteria for subclass 101/802 Child Visa (onshore or offshore), the child must be sponsored by the Australian parent or their partner. The child also cannot have a spouse, de-facto partner or be engaged. In addition, the following criteria must be met:

  1. have a parent who is a settled Australian citizen, settled permanent resident, or settled eligible New Zealand citizen and you are dependent on them.
  2. are under 18 years of age or under 25 years of age and studying full time or over 18 years of age with a disability.
  3. are single or not in a de facto relationship.
  4. do not have any previous visa cancellations and have complied with conditions of your previous visa.
  5. meet health and character requirements.


Benefits of the child visa:

The person who holds this visa can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if eligible)


What are the costs of a Child Visa?

The Department of Home Affairs visa cost of a Child Visa is AUD $2,665. The costs of health checks and police checks are excluded.


Processing Time

The Department of Home Affairs assesses applications on a case-by-case basis and processing time can vary from 12 to 19 months. Completing application with necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information may decrease the waiting period.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I bring my adopted child to Australia on the 101 & 802 Visa?

Yes, you can if a child has been adopted before they turned 18.

If I am not eligible parent, can my spouse or de facto partner sponsor my child for the 101 & 802 Visa?

Yes, if your spouse or de facto partner is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia, he/she can also sponsor the child.

Can I apply on behalf of my children if they are under the age of 18?

As an eligible parent, you may apply for your children if they are under the age of 18.

What is the difference between the 802 Visa and 101 Visa?

They are both Child Visas but for the 802 Visa, you must be in Australia when the application and the decision is made. Whereas you must be outside Australia for the 101 Visa


Why choose us?

At Best Immigration Lawyers we have made hundreds of onshore Child Visa application process easier and faster. Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced legal professionals and resources required to provide you with the guidance and representation that is needed to ensure you reach your immigration goals. Our team is committed to providing face to face or online service, so please book a meeting or call us on 0292830888

    Free Case

    Leave us a message and we'll call you back!

    Law Society