About Australian Citizenship
There are various ways under which you may qualify to apply for Australian citizenship. For example, some of the pathways under which you may be eligible for Australian citizenship include:
- citizenship by conferral
- citizenship by descent i.e. being born overseas to an Australian parent
- citizenship by birth in Australia
- citizenship by adoption
Citizenship by conferral is often the most popular pathway. To become an Australian citizen by conferral, you must first lodge an application form and pay the applicable fee. Your application will then be processed by the Department of Home Affairs.
Am I eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship?
Are you an Australian permanent resident holding this status for at least 12 months? Have you been living in Australia on a valid visa for at least 4 years? If yes, then you may qualify for the next step in your Australian journey, which is attaining Australian citizenship by conferral. In addition to holding permanent residency status and lawfully residing in Australia for at least 4 years, you must also meet the following requirements to be eligible for Australian citizenship:
- Not be absent from Australia for more than 1 year in the past 4 years including no more than 90 days in the past 12 months
- Be of good character
- Have basic knowledge of English language
- Intend to reside or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
- Have adequate knowledge of responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship
What are the benefits of Australian Citizenship?
As an Australian citizen you can:
- live, study, work and travel anywhere within Australia
- travel to and from Australia indefinitely
- stay outside Australia for as long as you want to
- apply for Federal Government and Defence Jobs
- vote if you are over 18 years of age
- sponsor your relatives for PR visa if they meet the eligibility requirements
What are the costs of Australian Citizenship?
The Department of Home Affairs cost for the main applicant of an Australian Citizenship application is $285
How long does it take to get Australian Citizenship?
The Department of Home Affairs assesses applications on a case-by-case basis and processing time changes according to application type.
· Australian citizenship by conferral varies between 17 to 27 months from the date of application to the date of the decision.
· Australian citizenship by descent varies between 4 to 6 months from the date of application to the date of the decision.
· Australian citizenship by evidence varies between 8 to 20 days from the date of application to the date of the decision.
Completing application with necessary documents, responding to any requests quickly and providing required information can help expedite the process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you become an Australian citizen by marriage?
If your spouse or partner is an Australian citizen, settled permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia, you may be eligible to apply for a Partner Visa which leads you to become a Permanent Resident. After getting the permanent residency status, you may be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship.
How long does it take to get Australian citizenship after marriage?
After the marriage, you may apply for a temporary and then permanent Partner Visa. After getting a permanent residency, you may be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship.
What happens if I fail the Australian Citizenship test?
If you fail the citizenship test, you may be able to book for another session on the same or another day. After 3 citizenship test failures, you must wait at least 2 years to retake it.
Why choose Best Immigration Lawyers for Australian Citizenship?
At Withstand Lawyers we have made Australian Citizenship application process easier and faster for many clients. Our firm specialises in immigration law and has experienced legal professionals and resources required to provide you with the guidance and representation that is needed to ensure you reach your immigration goals. Please book a meeting online or call us on 0292830888 for professional assistance.